Sunday, June 11, 2006

The Picnic

What a cool day....
An enjoyable afternoon at the FCC picnic - my first adoption related event! I felt a little weird walking around without a child (lurking, trying to figure out how to meet these new people), but everyone was so nice. Lots of encouragement from experienced moms and dads and reassurance that I will go to China some day to pick up my daughter. The system actually works and they have their gorgeous children to prove it.
The day was filled with lots of kite flying (extra cool kites too, like a 'Nemo' kite which flew for quite awhile), little girls blowing bubbles, which were then chased by other little girls (ok, I admit, I chased one too) and general picnic frivolity.
I bought a book from young author Emma, and had a good chat with her and her mom. Later in the afternoon, Emma's little sister Katie charmed my brother and I with her sunny personality and willingness to share in our treats (a smorgasboard of grape tomatoes, strawberries and mini carrots - yummy!!) Katie's dad was happy to share his daughter with us for a few minutes and talk about his experiences with his beautiful girls. Thanks!!
I also bought a couple of T-shirts (one for myself and one for my brother, who came with me today - thanks bro!) , a book, and 2 pairs of children's chopsticks. (so cute -- attached together at the top with a plastic animal). Both pairs, however, are going to chopstick challenged adults.
Just counted how much money I spent today...this kid stuff is expensive, and she's not even home yet! Oh, well, she's worth it. Just imagining reading "China in My Heart" to Jordyn....I would have spent double.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just trying the comments!

Tao's Mommy said...

Hi Cari,
Congrats on starting your blog!! I just got mine up and running last month and I'm having fun with it!!
I too am adopting as a single parent and with FOI (WC program). My dossier is being sent to FOI this week with my Provincial approval....so I'm in their hands now...YIPEE!!!
Look forward to following your JOURNEY to JORDYN!!!

Kim
www.kbowesjourney.blogspot.com