Thursday, March 01, 2007

A Delivery for Jordyn!


So...when you're pregnant, the situation is generally obvious to all. Well-wishers abound, gifts and blessings for the coming arrival are bestowed, and generally, people feel happy just looking at you. In the adoption world, things are different. We have babies coming....but know one knows. We are 'pregnant' in our minds; expectant parents in every sense of the word. We are expecting a little person to be in our homes at some point. We are expecting a long and ardous journey to get there. We are expecting our friends and family to be patient with us as we learn about how to create our families in what might be a new and unique way to most of us.

In order to make this ride much more pleasant, the various adoption groups create 'secret pal' gift exchanges, and 'virtual' baby showers. I just participated in my first shower with my DTC group!!! (for the uninitiated, DTC is "Dossier to China" - the time that our documents were sent to China. Mine were sent in September 2006, and the group includes Americans, Canadians and Europeans. The internet is a wonderful thing!) The theme was "Prince or Princess" (or anything royalty related) and the idea was to send your partner an appropriate gift to arrive before today. There is even a 'virtual' shower in our chatroom, although I don't know if I'll be able to participate in it.

Yesterday, a delivery came for Jordyn...a sweet bib which says 'Princess' on it. So lovely. I'm not much of a 'princess-y' kind of girl myself, but the gift is so cute, and came from a sweet person in the States who I know went through a lot of trouble to get this gift here on time. So....thanks Malia!! I can't wait until my Jordyn messes this up!!!

4 comments:

Liz and Ava said...

That's just adorable!

Middle-Aged Moi said...

I know what you mean. We're "pregnant", but nobody sees it, and few acknowledge it....it's so nice when someone does. It helps us to remember that our babies are somewhere out there, waiting for us.

Love the bib! I'm not a pink sort of person either, but when it comes to my girls, they wear pink all the time. Go figure. Let's face it, they look cute in anything....:-)

Catherine said...

I understand right where you are! It is such a good feeling when people 'acknowledge' that a baby is coming. Some people don't want to buy anything for my baby until the referral. I guess those are the same type of people who won't go to a shower before a baby is born. It's there perogative even though I may not quite understand it.

I'm so thankful you've joined a DTC group. They're lots of fun, informative and trust me, take you far during the long wait.

Love the bib! Absolutely adorable! Now bring on a baby to smear it with carrots. :o)

Julie said...

Glad you got some recognition!! Sweet bib!