Monday, July 03, 2006

Ottawa

Yesterday I went to the FOI Annual Get-Together in Ottawa -- so many people! It was at the Science and Technology Museum, which is a pretty cool place. My mission yesterday, though, was to meet some people with the agency. Mission accomplished!

I met Bob, who's always been so helpful on the phone and via email. He spent some time with me and my mom, explaning aspects of the trip. Some of Mom's concerns were allayed, such as 'how does one order in a restaurant?' Bob assures us that there is always someone with us in China and that they often do a big 'group order', knowing what kinds of food the western palate is used to.

I also met Jamie who was very nice, and gave impeccible directions back to Toronto. ( I realized that I knew how to get from Montreal, where I was visiting, to Ottawa, but not home again! A teensy oversight...)

We had a chat with Barb and her granddaughter Sadie (so cute!). Barb's daughter Jackie adopted Sadie as a single mom, and the grandparents went along for the journey. I think my mother was relieved to meet another grandparent who had gone on the trip! Barb said she spent lots of time babysitting, as Jackie was busy with lots of paperwork.

One potentially positive piece of news is that if my homestudy gets approved and ready before December (when my dossier is supposed to go to China), then it will go to China earlier! Mind you, it might only be one month early, but still, in this long process, everything helps! I'm likely still looking at an 18 month wait.

It was great to see so many people and their kids. I love that FOI does this annual event, and that so many people attend. It will be way more fun with Jordyn there.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Cari: I'm very excited that this dream is in the process of coming true for you! I love your blog, although I must say that it's much more fun listening to your stories over dinner at Swiss Chalet! Love ya! Michael